28.9.09

Making mint tea


Last week I tidied the gardens (front and back) and cut the grass (I hope it's the last time since we are moving soon). Everything is looking autumnal already, the apple trees are shedding apples (I am not making jam and chutney this year as we are on the move, so it's purees galore for my little girl and myself) and there are plenty of seed heads all over the flowerbeds. I have collected a few but I'm leaving most of them for the birds and for the garden so there is a good display next year.

As I own a good mint bush (last year I bought a pot of discounted mint at a supermarket, divided it in three plants and planted one in the ground and two in pots. The one planted in the ground did very well, the potted ones are tiny) I decided to make mint tea as it aids digestion and soothe a sore throat if you add honey.


It was my first time, so I researched the subject and came up with something that suited my needs. I collected the mint (discarding any flowers), tied the bunch with a piece of string, inserted it in an envelope and hanged it in a corner of the garage. If you don't have a garage, a wardrobe with doors or any other cupboard would work.

Why an envelope? Because it makes a dark, breathable environment for the drying mint and you don't get any shedding. When it's dry (it might take up to a week), I put the mint on a tray and detach the leaves from the stems, placing them in a jar. I keep the jar in a cupboard in the kitchen. When I want to make tea I soak some leaves in a jug full of hot water and strain the tea when it's ready. If I'm making just one mug I use a little nut that is designed for leaf teas so you can infuse a mug without any debris floating in your tea. If you don't know what I'm talking about, here is a little sketch.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

Bring Back Pluto said...

This is great! My wife and I love tea and we have mint in our garden. Thanks for the tips!