3.11.09

Home renovation for less




I have started writing a series on renovation on the cheap. The first article, which you can find here,  is about the renovation of a horrid 1970s kitchen, one of the most awful rooms in my first house (damp, with peeling wallpaper, horrid lino and coakroaches behind the units). The house was an ex rental, late Victorian and badly renovated in the 1970s, where all the internal period features disappeared.

I bought this house in London in 2002 and resold it in 2005 after it was completely renovated. It was my first step on the property ladder, followed by house number two (bought with my current partner), a beautiful Victorian semi, which we sold last year when we left London for greener pastures. This semi was in good condition with great period features, but we added an original cast iron fireplace and changed it into a cosy family home as it was previously owned by a childless couple.

We are now renting but we are looking to buy, so roll on renovation number three (unless we find a spotless house).

PS. I published another instalment in the renovation series, about building a conservatory on a tight budget.

No comments: